By their very nature, couture wedding dresses, with their superb craftsmanship, demand attention. Brides-to-be seek a signature one-off piece that is imaginative, special and one that will complement all aspects of what is the most memorable day of their life. Accessorising to befit the gown is a considered affair, and one integral to the overall success of your look.
A designer of couture wedding dresses creates pieces with a definite sense of individuality that demand exquisite accessorising. Mindful of creating a complete look, the designer is qualified to give professional advice as to how they envisage the accessories flattering a particular gown. However, there is generally scope for tailoring to your particular taste, within the parameters of the designer’s vision. Below are five things to consider when accessorising your gown.
1. A tailored bolero crafted from delicate lace or silk doubles as a shield from the weather for those tying the knot in the cooler months, and a stunning statement piece with which to embellish bespoke couture wedding dresses.
2. An intricate custom-made veil flatters the blushing bride and adds a sense of tradition, mystery and completion to the bridal look. Your designer will advise you of possibilities and can work with you on the perfect look and design to complement your dress, face shape and occasion.
3. Your wedding dress can be complemented perfectly by meticulously crafted bespoke shoes. They can be decorated with embellishments, and customised to set off your gown. Bespoke shoes ensure the perfect fit and comfort; your special day needn’t be marred by sore feet.
4. Makeup of quality and a standard of application befitting couture wedding dresses must suit your location and theme. For a casual affair avoid dramatic, dark eyes or overly bright lips. Makeup with a light, even coverage won’t overpower your face.
A glamorous evening nuptial occasion calls for a more daring approach with lips and eyes. Make your eyes stand out by using shadow that contrasts with your eye colour. A bold lip colour can also add that ‘wow’ factor. Choose to focus on either eyes or lips as dramatising both tends to be overkill.
A spray tan can also accessorise your gown beautifully, but don’t overlook the fact that you may need to update your make-up shades accordingly.
5. Jewellery choice can make or break a look, if choosing a statement piece, or one of sentimental value, be sure to consult your designer to ensure it is in keeping with the overall look of the outfit and occasion. It may be wise to remember the wise words of Coco Chanel who famously declared, “I always take off one piece of jewellery before I leave the house to ensure I’m not overdoing it.”